By continuing to use this Portal you agree that we can place cookies and other similar technology on your computer or device. By continuing to use your mobile device to access this website, you agree that the following information may be collected: your unique device identifier, mobile device IP address, information about your device’s operating system and your location information (to the extent permissible under applicable law).
- 'Portal' means the www.cosmos.esa.int web portal and its content
- ‘Content’ means all pages, screens, information and materials included in or accessible throughout the Portal (including any content available on any e-mail service)
- ‘you’, ‘your’ and ‘yours’ means you, the person(s) accessing our Portal and related services, and the party on whose behalf you are doing so
- ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ means the European Space Agency (ESA).
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a site and allow a site to recognize your device.
Cookies do a lot of different jobs, such as letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences and generally improving the user experience.
Yes, we may use information collected from our cookies to identify user behaviour and to serve content based on your profile, and for the other purposes described below, to the extent legally permissible in certain jurisdictions. We are not using it for marketing purposes.
Some of the cookies we use don't collect information that identifies a visitor. For example:
- Performance cookies (see below)
- Targeting cookies (see below), where you are not a registered user.
In other cases we can associate cookie information (including information from cookies placed via third party sites) with an identifiable individual. For example:
- If we send you a targeted e-mail which includes web beacons, cookies or similar technologies we will know whether you open, read, or delete the message
Do WE use any cookies from third party companies?
Some cookies we use are from third party companies, such as reCAPTCHA or Google Analytics, to provide us with web analytics and intelligence about our sites. These companies use programming code to collect information about your interaction with our sites, such as the pages you visit, the links you click on and how long you are on our sites. This code is only active while you are on Cosmos websites. For more information on how these companies collect and use information on our behalf, please refer to the Google Privacy & Terms.
What if I don’t want cookies?
By using our site you agree that we can place cookies on your device as explained below. If you want to remove existing cookies from your device you can do this using your browser options. If you want to block future cookies being placed on your device you can change your browser settings to do this. Currently, "Do Not Track" initiatives are not recognized by our site.
Please bear in mind that deleting and blocking cookies will have an impact on your user experience as parts of the site may no longer work. Unless you have adjusted your browser settings to block cookies, our system will issue cookies as soon as you visit our site or click on a link in a targeted e-mail that we have sent you, even if you have previously deleted our cookies.
What types of cookies are there and which ones do we use?
The cookies used on our Portal have been categorized on the basis of the categories found in the ICC UK Cookie Guide issued in 2012. However, it is important to note that not all cookies may be used in all jurisdictions or websites. A list of all the cookies used on this site by category is set out below. Within these four categories below, cookies are classified as either session or persistent cookies.
Session cookies are temporary and once you close the browser window, they are deleted from your device.
Persistent cookies remain on your device for a longer period and are used by the website to recognize your device when you return.
We use both session and persistent cookies on our Portal.
Strictly Necessary cookies.
These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the site and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the site. Without these cookies, services you have asked for cannot be provided.
We categorize the following as Strictly Necessary cookies:
- Registered Visitor cookie. A unique identifier given to each registered user, used to recognize them through their visit when they return to the site. (See also Functionality cookies below.)
These cookies collect information about your visit and use of this website, for instance which pages you visit the most often, and if you get error messages from web pages. These cookies don't collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is anonymous and is only used to improve how this website works.
We categorize the following as Performance cookies:
- Referrer URL (internal page). Used to store the URL of the previous page visited. Allows us to track how visitors navigate throughout our site
- Referrer URL (external page, e.g. if you click on links pointing to social media pages). Used to store the URL which refers a visitor to our site so we may understand which URLs are referring visitors to our site
- URL history. Used to store the pages visited by a user
- Unregistered Visitor cookie. A unique identifier given to each visitor to allow analysis on how unregistered visitors use our site
- Session Management cookies. These cookies allow us to follow the actions of a user on our sites during a browser session. A browser session starts when a user opens the browser window, visits our sites and finishes when they leave our sites and close their browser window. Our Session Management cookies are created temporarily. Once you close your browser, our Session Management cookies are deleted.
These cookies allow a site to remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or the region you are in) and provide more enhanced, personal features.
These cookies cannot track your browsing activity on other websites. They don’t gather any information about you that could be used for advertising or remembering where you’ve been on the Internet outside our site.
We categorize the following as Functionality cookies:
- Registered Visitor cookie. A unique identifier given to each registered user to our site, used to serve them content and offers based on their profiles. It is also used for analysis purposes. (See also Strictly Necessary cookies above.)
These cookies are used to (1) deliver advertisements more relevant to you and your interests; (2) limit the number of times you see an advertisement; (3) help measure the effectiveness of the advertising campaign; and (4) understand people’s behavior after they view an advertisement. They are usually placed on behalf of advertising networks with the site operator’s permission. They remember that you have visited a site and quite often they will be linked to site functionality provided by the other organization.
We categorize the following as Targeting cookies:
- Gathering analytics and intelligence cookies
- Third Party cookies. The Targeting cookies may also be used on third party websites and third parties may use them on our websites as follows:
– Social media sites
RELATED PRIVACY PUBLICATIONS