Home - Cluster Mass 2020
Meeting postponed due to covid-19
Powerful new galaxy surveys Euclid, The Dark Energy Survey, eROSITA and LSST offer outstanding potential for both cluster cosmology and galaxy evolution. With these wide-field surveys across a variety of wavelengths and redshifts, we are moving into an era where samples of hundreds of thousands of galaxy clusters will be available. While these large samples enable the reduction of statistical uncertainties in our measurements, developments in modelling both our observations and theoretical understanding of galaxy clusters is crucial to the success of these surveys.
The aim of this meeting is to bring together observers and theorists to discuss recent results and future prospects for deriving cluster masses in light of current and upcoming wide-field surveys.
This will be a small-medium sized meeting (max. 72 participants) with oral and poster contributions alongside discussion sessions covering the following themes:
Theme 1: observational measurements & progress on:
- Galaxy cluster masses derived from galaxies
- Galaxy cluster masses derived from gravitational lensing
- Galaxy cluster masses derived from X-rays
- Galaxy cluster masses derived from the Sunyaev-Zeldovich effect
- Machine learning applications to galaxy cluster mass estimation techniques
(Subthemes are inclusive of multi-wavelength comparisons).
Theme 2: galaxy cluster detection & mass estimation in the context of upcoming surveys (e.g., Euclid, eROSITA, Vera C. Rubin Observatory, JWST, Simons Observatory, CMB-S4, Athena, Lynx).
Theme 3: a view from galaxy cluster simulations (dark matter-only, hydrodynamical, synthetic skies etc.).
There will be no registration fee for this meeting.
For attendees, we will provide:
- Coach shuttle to-and-from Madrid city centre to ESAC
- Welcome reception including Spanish tapas and beverages (8th September)
- Onsite childcare on request
- Coffee breaks
We acknowledge support from the Faculty of the European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC).
We look forward to seeing you in Madrid!