Home - SCIOPS 2017
ESA/ESO SCIOPS Workshop 2017
"Working together in support of science"
The Challenge of Distributed Science Operations
17-20 October 2017
European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC)
ESA, Villanueva de la Cañada, Madrid, Spain
In recognition of the fact that science operations are becoming ever more complex we are focusing this 3rd ESA-ESO collaborative workshop on the challenges that distributed science operations present to space and ground based projects, and to promote the interchange of ideas and information between ESA, ESO and the broader community.
It will review experience gained from past projects such as Herschel and Planck, and discuss the experiences of the ongoing operations of projects such as Gaia and the ESO Public Surveys.
It will also look forward to the challenges presented by more complex projects in future, for example Euclid and 4MOST, some of which are also raising questions relevant to the coordination between space and ground based projects.
We will also consider synergies that might exist with planetary missions, ALMA, space debris monitoring, etc.
Discussion areas will include:
- Experience gained from space missions: past and present.
- Experience gained from ground-based projects: past and present.
- Strategic coordination issues between space and ground-based projects.
- What can we learn from planetary missions, etc.
- Challenges of future projects: space- and ground-based.
Download Poster: [Hi-Res (47MB) - LOW-RES (527KB)]