This is the web home for SPICE data for BepiColombo. For information about the mission operations, go to the BepiColombo Science Operations web. For information about the scientific data, go to the BepiColombo PSA web.
BEPICOLOMBO SPICE KERNELS SET
ESA, in collaboration with NAIF and the BepiColombo Instrument Teams, produce a whole set of SPICE kernels for BepiColombo (event kernels are not produced for ESA missions). Refer to the description of the BepiColombo repository for information about naming conventions and time coverage for each of the kernels.
The BepiColombo SPICE dataset consists of several SPICE kernels, organised as follows:
- CK kernels. This kernels contain information about orientation of the space vehicle or any articulating structure on it.
- FK kernels. Reference frame specifications. Definitions of, and specifications of, relationships between reference frames (coordinate systems). Among the frames kernels included, there are kernels that specify reference frames related to the earth and the spacecraft.
- IK kernels. Kernels that hold intrument information, such as field of view or internal timing.
- LSK kernel. This kernels hold a table with the leapseconds used to convert between ET and UTC.
- PCK kernels. These kernels provide information about Solar System bodies orientation and shape, and possibly parameters for gravitational, atmospheric or rings models.
- SCLK kernel. This kernel (spacecraft clock coefficients) allows for conversion between ET and spacecraft clock. If there are multiple LSK kernels in this dataset, the latest kernel supersedes he previous ones. More information on the SCLK kernel(s) in this dataset is provided in SCLKINFO.TXT.
- SPK kernels. Kernels with information about ephemeris (position and velocity) of the spacecraft and solar system bodies. The dataset provides such information for the planets, the Sun, the Moon, the New Norcia tracking station, several DSN tracking stations, and the spacecraft. More information on the SPK kernels in this dataset is provided in SPKINFO.TXT.
ACCESS TO THE KERNELS
The BepiColombo SPICE repository contains all the pre-operational kernels for BepiColombo, organised by kernel type.
The Release notes of the latest version of the BepiColombo kernel collection can be seen here. Please note that SPICE collection releases are not driven by SPK, CK and/or SCLK updates and/or additions by the operational pipeline.
ORIGIN OF THE KERNELS
GENERIC KERNELS PROVIDED BY NAIF
NAIF generates kernels that are mission independent. Some of them are used by ESA missions:
- Binary and text PCK and LSK kernels.
- Some SPK kernels with ephemeris of the solar system bodies.
- SPK kernels for ground stations.
- Frames kernels for ground stations.
KERNELS CREATED BY THE BEPICOLOMBO SGS (SCIENCE GROUND SEGMENT) AND ESA SPICE SUPPORT, ALONE OR IN COLLABORATION WITH THE INTRUMENTS TEAMS AND ESOC MISSION ANALYISIS
The ESA SPICE Team and BepiColombo SGS collaborate with the Intrument Teams and Mission Analyisis to create kernels for BepiColomo:
- Preliminary SPK kernels with trajectory of the MPO Orbiter created by Mission Analysis.
- Preliminary CK kernels with orientation of the MPO Orbiter created by RSSD/ESA.
- The instrument kernels (IK) have beend eveloped by RSSD/ESA, in collaboration with the instrument teams.
- The BEPI frames kernel has been created by RSSD/ESA.
- RSSD frames kernel.