Euclid Survey - Euclid
Euclid Deep Fields
The location of the three Euclid deep fields have been selected by the Euclid Sky Survey Working Group of the Euclid Consortium. These three dark patches of the sky will be the subject of the mission’s deepest observations, aiming at exploring faint objects in the early Universe as well as assessing the purity of the spectroscopic observations in the Wide Survey.
The position of the Euclid Deep Fields – one in the northern sky and two in the southern sky – was announced during the 2019 annual consortium meeting in Helsinki, Finland.
See ESA web story on : Three dark fields for Euclid's deep survey
The 3 Euclid Deep Fields (EDFs) are specified as follows:
- EDFN (North) - 17:58:55.9 +66:01:03.7
- 20 deg2 x 10 visits
- Inner 10 deg2 with additional 30 visits
- EDFS (South) - 04:04:57.84 -48:25:22.8
- 20 deg2 x 45 visits
- Note that the exact centre of the EDFS has been slightly modified July 10th, 2019. The updated EDFS octagon stadium envelope is:
- EDFF (Fornax) - 03:31:43.6 -28:05:18.6
- 20 deg2 x 56 visits
- 7 visits of the same fields within a few hours-days every ~9 months
"Blue" grism data will be obtained for all observations of the 3 deep fields, as opposed to the Wide Survey where only "red" grism data will be obtained. The Euclid deep field spectroscopy data will be a unique dataset since there are no slitless surveys implemented with such a large number of grism orientations. The deep fields will be crucial to asess the purity and completeness of the wide field.
The Euclid deep fields will be also covered in depth by the LSST.
The Euclid wide and deep surveys. Credit: ESA/Euclid Consortium. Acknowledgment: Euclid Consortium Survey Group
More information on http://sci.esa.int/euclid/61407-the-euclid-wide-and-deep-surveys/
1. Euclid Deep Field North (EDFN)
The figure below exhibits a possible implementation for observing the Deep Field North. The color scale represents the epoch when each observation could be performed (purple color means earlier in the mission).
2. Euclid Deep Field South (EDFS)
3. Euclid Deep Field Fornax (EDFF)
The figure below exhibits a possible implementation of the Euclid Fornax Deep Field. The color scale shows the epoch when each observation could be performed.