ESAC 2017 JWST Workshop
- In anticipation of the first JWST Call for proposals in late November 2017, the European Space Agency is organizing a series of workshops to engage and inform the astronomical community. The first workshop showcased the capabilities of the JWST science instruments, their observing modes and expected in-orbit performance.
- The main goal of this second workshop is to provide ample hands-on experience with the various tools supporting preparation and submission of proposals. Among them the Target Visibility Tool, the Exposure Time Calculator and the Astronomy Proposal tool (APT).
STRUCTURE OF THE WORKSHOP
- The workshop will last 2.5 days (from Wednesday morning to Friday early afternoon). The first half day will be devoted to general presentations that will provide updates on status of the project, science policies and timeline. The rest of the workshop will be dedicated to demonstrations and hands-on sessions of the various tools needed for proposal preparation.
- For each tool there will be an introductory session, followed by hands-on exercises in which participants will gain familiarity with them. Once the participants are acquainted with the various tools, specific science cases will be used to exercise the complete proposal process: from estimating the target visibility and the exposure times to implementing the technical aspects of the proposal in APT.
- For the hands-on sessions the participants will be divided into small working groups. Each working group will have the assistance of at least one expert/facilitator that will help the group complete the session.
- All material used during the exercises will be made available online at the end of the workshop.
PREPARATION FOR THE WORKSHOP
- Some preparation will be required to fully benefit from the workshop.
- Plase follow the instruction in this link to install the necessary software packages and to open a MyST account.
- Plenary presentations and tool demonstrations will be broadcasted via WEBEX.
- Please be advised that WEBEX only works on MAC and WINDOW systems. Linux is not supported.
- WEBX links will be available here a few days before the workshop. Remote participants and presentes will be notified when the connection test is planned.
- Only Portrait orientation
- Maximum poster size: A0 Format 841 x 1189 mm (33.1 x 46.8 in)
- During the registration process you will be indicated where to expose your poster
- Posters will be visible during lunches and coffee breaks. There will not be a dedicated poster session.
VENUE, ACCOMODATION AND TRANSPORTATION
- The conference will be held at the European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC) located in Villafranca del Castillo, Madrid, Spain.
- During the workshop bus transportation will be offered between a pick-up point located in Plaza the España (Madrid) and ESAC. The following link provide location and timetable for the workshop bus Link
- For alternative transportation consult the following link
- There are many hotels within walking distance to the pick-up-point. There are no special agreements with any of the hotels in the area Link
- The workshop dinner will be on Wednesday October 4th at 19:30 at the Restaurante Palacio De Cibeles. Plaza Cibeles 1 28014 Madrid Spain
- Map and information are available at this link
- Next week you will receive a doodle pool to indicate your selection of Menu.
- 21 Jul 2017 - REGISTRATION OPEN
- 15 Sep 2017 - REGISTRATION CLOSE
- 22 Sep 2017 - THIRD AND FINAL ANNOUNCEMENT (with the final program, workshop preparation instructions)
- 04 Oct 2017 - WORKSHOP START
- 06 Oct 2017 - WORKSHOP END
For information please contact email@example.com