Documents & Articles - ARIEL
Documents and articles
ARIEL as adopted
The Ariel mission as adopted by the ESA Science Programme Committee (SPC) on 12 November 2020 is described in the phase B1 'Definition Study Report', normally referred to as the 'Red Book', which is provided below, together with selected additional material. See also the news release: Ariel moves from blueprint to reality.
- Ariel Definition Study Report, ESA/SCI(2020)1, November 2020 - the Red Book
- Most Red Book references are available through a dedicated ADS list
- 'An Updated Study of Potential Targets for Ariel', Edwards B., Mugnai L., Tinetti, G. et al. AJ 157:242, 2019 - https://doi.org/10.3847/1538-3881/ab1cb9
ARIEL as selected
The Ariel (then ARIEL) mission selected as the Cosmic Vision M4 mission in March 2018 is described in the phase A 'Assessment Study Report', normally referred to as the 'Yellow Book'. It describes all aspects of the mission, with emphasis on science objectives and science requirements, but also the spacecraft, mission design, mission and science operations, and science management. In addition there are supporting Technical Notes.
- ARIEL Assessment Study Report, ESA/SCI(2017)2, March 2017 - the Yellow Book
- Supporting Technical Notes produced by the ARIEL Consortium - https://arielmission.space/yellow-book-technical-documents
More recently a number of articles were published in Experimental Astronomy vol 46 no 1 November 2018 - open access articles are listed below.
- 'A chemical survey of exoplanets with ARIEL', Tinetti, G., Drossart, P., Eccleston, P. et al. Exp. Astron. 46:131, 2018 - https://doi.org/10.1007/s10686-018-9598-x
- 'The Phase A study of the ESA M4 mission candidate ARIEL', Puig, L., Pilbratt, G., Heske, A. et al. Exp. Astron. 46:211, 2018 - https://doi.org/10.1007/s10686-018-9604-3
- 'The ARIEL mission reference sample', Zingales, T., Tinetti, G., Pillitteri, I. et al. Exp. Astron. 46:67, 2018 - https://doi.org/10.1007/s10686-018-9572-7
ARIEL as proposed
The ARIEL proposal was one of 27 proposals submitted in response to the M4 mission call in ESA's science programme Cosmic Vision long term plan.
ADS bumblebee library of ARIEL (-related) articles
A list of articles (as defined by ADS) related to Ariel is available as an ADS public library.
ESA COSMIC VISION long term plan
- ESA Cosmic Vision BR-247 document (issued in 2005)
- ESA Science & Technology Cosmic Vision webpages: Overview - Selecting the themes for Cosmic Vision 2015-2025 - Call for proposals; missions selected - Science community involvement