ESA JWST Master Class - JWST
ESA JWST MASTER CLASS
>>> MASTER CLASS- LOCAL WORKSHOP PAGE <<<<
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) has announced a Call for Applications to attend the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) Master Class. The class will provide dedicated JWST proposal training to selected researchers who are willing to share their knowledge with scientists at their local/regional institutions. The original announcement from STScI can be found here.
The European Space Agency (ESA) will provide a similar opportunity to European astronomers. A similar JWST Master Class will be organised at the European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC) in the first week of February 2020. The workshop will last approximately 2–3 days and will include topics related to JWST proposal planning, user tools, instrument modes, science cases, documentation, resources, and guidance regarding the education and dissemination of these topics to others.
Approximately 10 astronomers will be selected to participate in the European JWST Master Class. These Master Class graduates will host one proposal-preparation training activity/mini-workshop at their home institution(s) in the course of February–May 2020.
ESA will offer to the selected participants:
- Full travel support to ESAC for the Master Class training in the first week of February 2020 (for astronomers in ESA Member States).
- Comprehensive presentation materials, supplies, and support needed for hosting local training activities.
- Presence of an ESA/JWST expert at local event(s).
Applications are due by 17:00 CEST on 3 June 2019.
Interested astronomers should submit an application to firstname.lastname@example.org and describe their plans for the organisation of the mini workshop that they propose to host at their institution. The application document can be found here.
ESA HST Project Scientist, ESA JWST Project Scientist for Guest Observers
ESA JWST Project Scientist
ESA JWST Science Operations Development Manager
Please provide the following information:
- First/Given Name
- Email address
- Phone number
- Street Address
- City/ State/Zip Code
- Institution/ Organisation/ Employer
- Please indicate that you are available to attend the Master Class Workshop at ESAC in the first week of February 2020.
- Please confirm that if selected to attend the Master Class, you commit to running a local training event and to provide a final written report on the outcome of the event as a lesson learned for future initiatives.
Please also include in your application:
- A description of the local training(s) you will host as a JWST Master Class graduate. Logistics do not need to be confirmed, but you are encouraged to include an outline of specifics and how you will gain community support in advance .
- Is this a team application? If so, give the name and role of each member. Indicate any co-organisers and/or neighbouring/ partnering institutions, defined in a wide geographical context.
- Proposed location/venues, capacity/expected attendance and approximate dates/duration.
- A document demonstrating your ability and commitment to host local training(s) (e.g., a letter of institutional support, co-organiser names/affiliations etc.). Any other details you might have worked out at this time, such as recruiting participants, out-of-classroom support, in-kind support, etc.
- A description of your broad science interest. (1–2 sentences)
- Your plan to use JWST, including instruments/modes of interest. (3–4 sentences)
- A justification of why are you interested in becoming a Master Class participant. (1–2 sentences)
- A description of your previous experience of teaching/training and outreach activities. (3–4 sentences)
- Answers to the following questions:
- When the GO1 Call for Proposals was open in early 2018, were you preparing a proposal? What was your contribution to that JWST proposal?
- What is your level of familiarity with JWST proposal tools (e.g., previous participation in JWST workshops)
- What about the JWST proposal planning have you struggled with the most? (3–4 sentences)