Venus Flybys - BepiColombo Flyby
Venus flybys WORKING GROUP
Venus 1st flyby
The first flyby at Venus will be on October 16th, 2020, almost 2 years after launch. It will be the first occasion to test instruments for scientific outputs, hence an important occasion to test all the procedures implemented for this purpose, in the frame of the main scientific goal at Mercury.
Figure: Venus 1 flyby as seen from the Earth (left) and from the Sun (right). Tick marks are drawn every 20 minutes.
Venus 2nd flyby
The second flyby at Venus will be about 10 months later, on August 11th, 2021.
Figure: Venus 2 flyby as seen from the Earth (left) and from the Sun (right). Tick marks are drawn every 20 minutes.
Venus flybys science return
Due to the flight configuration, not all the instruments onboard BepiColombo will be able to operate during cruise (and flybys). Nevertheless, a big part of them will be oberative:
- 8 of 11 instruments onboard MPO: ISA, MERTIS, MGNS, MORE, PHEBUS, SERENA-MIPA and SERENA-PICAM, SIXS.
- 3 of 5 onboard Mio: MPPE (all sensors but HEP-ion), MGF, PWI.
A table of the 8 MPO instruments that can operate during flybys, together with some details of the scientific goals, operational modes and observing strategy (as at the end of 2018) is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/clwqm0js1fgo00x/VENUS%20FLYBY%20MATRIX_4.41.xlsx?dl=0
A splinter session on Venus flybys is usually dedicated in the BepiColombo SWT meetings. Agenda can be found here:
- 18th Science Working Team Meeting, Tokyo, Japan, 12-14 March 2019 (http://www.perc.it-chiba.ac.jp/meetings/bc_swt18/Welcome.html)
- 17th Science Working Team Meeting, Braunschweig, Germany, 12 - 15 March 2018
- 16th Science Working Team Meeting, Matera, Italy, 23 - 27 October 2017
- 15th Science Working Team Meeting, Toulouse, France, 29 May-1 June 2017
Presentations can be found in the livelink devoted section: https://dms.cosmos.esa.int/cs/livelink?func=ll&objId=3830709&objAction=browse&viewType=1
WORKING GROUP CHAIR
- Valeria Mangano, INAF-IAPS Roma, Italy (contact me at name.surname at inaf.it)