Scientific Tutorials - ESDC
The ESA Science Archives contain a wealth of scientific data, freely available online to researchers and the public alike.
To support the research of professionals, the studies of University students and the learning of school children and teachers, the ESDC have created a range of scientific tutorials. These tutorials have been designed to show example science use cases and how the tools can be used by professionals and students to answer scientific questions. The tutorials are step-by-step and in some cases demonstrate how the archives can be used in collaboration with other VO-enabled tools.
The tutorials are the following:
- Identifying kinematical members of the Pleiades cluster: A step-by-step VO tutorial using ESASky and TOPCAT
- CESAR/ESASky Science Cases
- ESAC SOHO Science Archive tutorial: Determining the solar differential rotation
- Investigating solar cycles: A SOHO Science Archive and Ulysses Final Archive tutorial
- Merging galaxies: An XMM-Newton Science Archive and Hubble Space Telescope tutorial
- Classifying the SEDs of Herbig Ae/Be stars
- VOSpec science tutorial: Calculating the redshift of galaxies
- VOSpec science tutorial: Comparing spectra of the Sun and other stars
- VOSpec typical session
IDENTIFYING KINEMATICAL MEMBERS OF THE PLEIADES CLUSTER: A STEP-BY-STEP VO TUTORIAL USING ESASKY AND TOPCAT
A tutorial demonstrating how to use ESASky and TOPCAT for normal scientific work. It uses Hipparcos and Gaia data to identify members of the Pleiades cluster with ESASky and the VO tool TOPCAT. Useful for researchers wanting to get familiar with the applications as well as for University students.
The Colours of Astonomy: Introduction to multi-wavelength Astronomy
Exploring the ISM: Introduction to the Interstellar Medium
The Secrets of Galaxies: Introduction to the basic properties of galaxies.
A step-by-step classroom tutorial developed for University undergraduates and school students. This tutorial uses the ESAC SOHO Science Archive and the Ulysses Final Archive..
A classroom tutorial developed for university undergraduates and secondary school students. Uses the ESA XMM-Newton Science Archive and the VO tool Aladin.
A fully developed example science case, using the VO Tools VOSpec and TOPCAT.
A step-by-step tutorial developed for university undergraduates and pre-undergraduate students, using the VO tool VOSpec.
A step-by-step classroom tutorial developed for school students. This tutorial uses the VO Tool VOSpec.
Associated files: solar_spectrum_900_1200.xml