12th Announcement of Opportunity (AO-12)
This Announcement solicits proposals for observations to be carried out in the period from January to December 2015. Following a recommendation by the IUG it is possible to submit Key Programme proposals with observations spanning two AO cycles of observation.
We would like you to be aware that ESA has implemented the following important changes to AO-12:
- ESA will revert from this year to a single, annual AO for observing proposals, and so there will be no 2nd call for data rights proposals anymore. ISOC encourages previous 2nd round data rights proposers to submit for AO-12 regular observing proposals for their favorite targets (or science). ISOC will make amalgamation more flexible (i.e., with less restrictions), and will facilitate in helping previous data rights proposers. For more help see our FAQ page.
- Data or science rights to the targets or science in the field of view (FOV) of the instruments proposed by the PIs in response to AO-12 will be allocated to these PIs with the usual 1-year proprietary period, if their proposal is accepted by the TAC. If the PI is from a country other than the Russian Federation, the rest of the field will be made public. If the PI is from the Russian Federation the rest of the field will be open only to all Russian Federation scientists currently working at Russian Federation scientific institutes. ISOC and ISDC will take measures to ensure that the approved 1-year proprietary nature are respected. For further details we refer to the AO-12 documentation.
- New also for AO-12 is the opportunity to propose for coordinated observations with NASA's Swift satellite, in addition to the already existing programme with XMM-Newton.
|Release of AO-12: Call for observing time proposals||24 February 2014|
|Deadline for submission of observing time proposals||4 April 2014 (14:00 CEST)|
|Meeting of the Time Allocation Committee (TAC)||20-22 May 2014|
|Start AO-12 cycle of observation (duration 12 months)||01 January 2015|
- The Exposure Map Tool (EMT)
(FITS map of IBIS exposure up to end of AO-11)
(FITS map of SPI exposure up to end of AO-12)
- The Observation Time Estimator (OTE)
- The Proposal Generation Tool (PGT)
- The Target Visibility Predictor (TVP)
- Source Grouping Tool (SGT)