The printed catalogues comprise 16 volumes, with an additional volume 17 including 6 ASCII CD-ROMs, as follows:
The final products of the Hipparcos mission - the Hipparcos and Tycho Catalogues - were released in June 1997. The catalogues were constructed under the responsibility of large scientific teams collaborating with ESA. The Consortia Leaders were Dr Lennart Lindegren (Lund, Sweden: NDAC) and Professor Jean Kovalevsky (Grasse, France: FAST) together responsible for the Hipparcos Catalogue; Professor Erik Høg (Copenhagen, Denmark: TDAC) responsible for the Tycho Catalogue; and Dr Catherine Turon (Meudon, France: INCA) responsible for the Hipparcos Input Catalogue.
The Hipparcos and Tycho Catalogue data are available from CDS, through relational database queries in VizieR, cross-identifications within SIMBAD, and data overlay in the Aladin sky atlas. Note that the Tycho Epoch Photometry Annex B is also available from CDS. This annex is archived offline, and is available for reasonable scientific queries. The Hipparcos Catalogue is also available from ESA Sky and from the Gaia Archive.
The correct reference for the catalogues is as follows:
ESA, 1997, The Hipparcos and Tycho Catalogues, ESA SP-1200 Guides to the Catalogues:
The following documents are an extract from Volume 1 giving some details of the main Hipparcos and Tycho catalogue fields: Guide to Hipparcos fields (pdf) and Guide to Tycho fields (pdf).
Further descriptions of the catalogues may be found in:
The Hipparcos Catalogue, Perryman, M.A.C. et al., 1997, A&A 323, p.L49-L52
Double star data in the Hipparcos Catalogue, Lindegren, L. et al., 1997, A&A 323, p.L53-L56
The Tycho Catalogue, Høg, E. et al., 1997, A&A 323, p.L57-L60
The Hipparcos mission: photometric data, van Leeuwen, F. et al., 1997, A&A 323, p.L61-L64
On-line extracts from the Hipparcos and Tycho Catalogues illustrating the contents of the various volumes.
- Example catalogue pages illustrating the contents of the various printed volumes.
- Sample tables from the catalogues can be viewed on-line.
- Selected statistics from the Hipparcos and Tycho Catalogues are available in PDF format for viewing on-line. These include figures on the astrometric accuracies and Hertzsprung-Russell diagrams derived from the Hipparcos and Tycho data.
Reported Catalogue errors:
Lists of known and reported errors can be found at these pages, covering:
- errors in the catalogue documentation
- errors in the data files (printed and/or CD-ROM)
- errors/updates in the access software on disk 1 (src, fits)
- updates to catalogue entries based on recent research
- Celestia 2000 updates.