Herschel Refereed Publications Library - Herschel
Herschel Scientific Publications
Scientific results based on Herschel observations are de facto communicated via publications in the refereed scientific literature. This webpage provides a listing of published refereed Herschel papers, the applicable rules and guidelines for publishing can be found elsewhere.
Herschel Refereed Publications Library
The list of publications provided here is generated by using the ADS Astronomy and Astrophysics searches followed by manual inspections of the "hits" using the criteria listed below. It is updated typically two to three times a year and maintained in Archive Phase by Ana Heras, to whom feedback can be provided. In particular, please report papers that are missing in the list, should you come across any. As of September 2021, 3170 Herschel papers are listed, which have been cited more than 115000 times in total.
Refereed Publications Library - in ADS Bumblebee format
(last update: 08/09/2021)
What papers are listed?
The current criteria that a paper should fulfil to make it eligible for listing are described here. They are unchanged since the list was established, but can be updated. (Ultimately this possibly could lead to the provision of multiple listings.)
The criteria used for being included in the listing (or not) currently in use are:
- Papers must be based on (use/present) Herschel in-flight observations. Consequently neither papers published before the launch of Herschel are included, nor are papers solely describing (potential) Herschel observing programmes.
- The vast majority of the papers listed are articles presenting Herschel observational astronomical results, also included are papers discussing Herschel performance, including telescope and instrument performance, based on in-flight observations, and so are papers based on Herschel archival data.
- Not included are papers using Herschel data for the sole purpose of defining source lists for observations using other facilities, or papers discussing Herschel science results by reference only without presenting any Herschel data.
- Papers must be articles published in the refereed scientific literature. Consequently abstracts of all kinds as well as non-refereed papers and conference proceedings are not included.
- Pre-prints (e.g. posted on arXiv.org > astro-ph) are not included. However, journals normally post articles online before the paper issue is available, and these are included.
The first papers fulfilling these criteria and thus the 'oldest' listed are the papers published in the Herschel special feature in A&A volume 518. This volume contains 152 papers, most (but not all) of them based on PACS and SPIRE science demonstration phase (SDP) observations. Due to the HIFI anomaly it was unavailable for an extended period and the HIFI SDP observations were carried out later. A second special feature with an additional 50 papers based on HIFI data was published in A&A volume 521. All 202 special feature papers are freely available and can be accessed via the two special features pages linked through the images below.